Monday, July 13, 2009

The Melody Rangers on Straf

The Melody Rangers
Vocal by Dottie Ducharme

Straf 1502

25247 - Loving You in Silence
25248 - Yodel From My Heart

Stamped on label : OCT 27 1969 and Property of WPEP.
Produced by Doris Taylor.

WPEP, AM radio broadcast station was located in Taunton, Ma. from 1949 to 1970. This record is probably from the area, as the following little piece of information found here regarding Dottie Ducharme, the vocalist, tend to confirm (that's I like to think anyway) :

DOTTIE DUCHARME of Turners Falls is very proud of her daughter, Krystal, 17, who has been letting her hair grow for the past three years for a worthy cause. Krystal went to Hair by Phase One and had 19 inches of her hair cut off to donate to Locks of Love, which makes hair pieces for cancer patients.

''I want her to know how much I love her. It took a lot of courage to have her hair cut off,'' wrote her mother. ''Everyone likes to hear when someone does something good.''



.

1 comment:

  1. I bought some old 45s on Ebay a few weeks ago. Although they were sold by a german Ebay member there are lots of US issues among them, some promotional or radio station copies as well. They are dated from the late 60s to the early 70s, most of them are stamped "Property of WPEP". I don't know how they ended up here in Germany but I'd really like to know. Here are some examples:
    My 45 Photobucket Album

    ReplyDelete